I didn’t grow up on mac and cheese. Matter fact, I never heard of mac and cheese until I was older. Growing up, my mom would make me macaroni and soup. It’s quick, easy, and delicious. Living in Seattle, this dish is perfect. There’s nothing better to eat during the rainy, cold, wet, days than a bowl of hot soup.
I made this for dinner not too long ago. It was raining and I didn’t really want to cook. Just as it finished cooking, I snapped a quick picture and as I’m looking at it now, I’m craving for another bowl.
How to put this one-pot meal together? Simple!
Ingredients I Used:
2 cans of Chicken Broth
2 cans of Water
1 container of Spam, diced
1 small bag of Frozen Vegetables
1 bag of Macaroni
1. I started by heating two cans of chicken broth with two cans of water in a big pot.
2. In a saute pan, crisp up the spam. There’s no need to add oil as the spam will have a lot of excess oil.
3. Remove spam from the pan and place in a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
4. When the soup is at a boil, add your macaroni. I used whatever pasta I had on hand.
5. When the pasta is almost cooked, add in your frozen vegetables. I liked the variety blends.
6. When the pasta is cooked, add in your spam.
7. Serve hot! (I topped my bowl with a fried egg)
This is just a guideline. Not a fan of spam? No worries, add whatever protein you like! Off the top of my head, shredded chicken would be awesome. The bottom line, cook what you like. If you like the dish, then there isn’t really a wrong or right, is there?